ssh_exchange_identification

Simon Liddington sjl at zepler.org
Thu May 17 02:10:14 EST 2001

This is a me too:

I upgraded from openssh-2.3.0p1 to openssh-2.5.2p2 and found similar
problems to Tim. I then upgraded to  openssh-2.9p1 and it still
happened. I even upgraded from openssl-0.9.6 to openssl-0.9.6a and it
still happened to I got my shovel out and started digging. I changed
the code to give the error details and got this:

debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
debug1: try pubkey: /export/home1/sl/.ssh/id_dsa.pub
debug1: input_userauth_pk_ok: pkalg ssh-dss blen 433 lastkey 1271b0 hint 0

debug1: PEM_read_PrivateKey failed: error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line

debug1: read PEM private key done: type <unknown>
Enter passphrase for key '/export/home1/sl/.ssh/id_dsa.pub':

I think there are two bugs here firstly it's failing to read the
private key for some reason and secondly it seems to carry on regardless
and ask for a passphrase.

Any thoughts?

Simon