openssh and chroot

Edwin Grubbs egrubbs at rackspace.com
Thu May 17 08:43:40 EST 2001

I am wondering what modifications to the chroot patch in the contrib
directory for openssh would be necessary for it to be accepted into the
standard release. Is anybody currently working on chroot for openssh? I
would be willing to work on improving and testing the patch if I knew it
would become a standard part of openssh. My main interest in a chrooted
openssh is to provide chrooted sftp so I can get rid of non-anonymous ftp
entirely. It would also be convenient if the sftp functionality was inside
the openssh server so that chrooted accounts wouldn't require sftp-server
to be located in their directory. In some ways it would seem that ftp over
SSL would be more suitable, but there are a lot more ssh clients that
support sftp than ftp clients that support ssl.

-Edwin Grubbs