SSH connection hanging on logout

John Bowman bowman at math.ualberta.ca
Sat May 19 00:48:56 EST 2001

> these are still not the traces i'm looking for.
> you need to make sure that SSHD still does
> reads after the SIGCLD:
>
> 	debug1: Received SIGCHLD.
> 	debug3: channel 0: read rfd 10 len 16384

Sorry, I've tested many different cases, such as these ones

ssh -v -v -v localhost dd if=/usr/local/netscape/netscape bs=1300000 count=10 | ( sleep 5 ; md5sum )

 ssh -v -v -v localhost dd if=/usr/local/netscape/netscape bs=1300000 count=10 | ( sleep 50 ; md5sum )

ssh -v -v -v localhost dd if=/usr/local/netscape/netscape bs=1300000 count=1 | ( md5sum )

and many others and I've never seen this happen. The checksums are always
correct. If you have a specfic test you want me to try, pleae let me know.

Like I said, under Linux at least, by the time shutdown is called, all of
the data has been read in.

You are most welcome to try to show otherwise. I'll give you an account on
a Linux system; please contact me about this. Until then, I will continue
to use my patch; it makes OpenSSH a practical alternative to SSH on Linux
systems.

-- John Bowman

University of Alberta
http://www.math.ualberta.ca/~bowman