Erase the source file open; specify a tempfile name option

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun May 20 21:39:49 EST 2001

Hi,

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 01:00:29AM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2001, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > I do not see the point of the options.
>
> The -E option should be obvious, but if it's not, there needs to be an
[..]
> The tempfile options control how the file arrive on a system.  For
> instance, if you need to copy over a running executable without crashing
> the program that has the file open, using the -u option ensures that the
> files arrive whole and replace the original rather than writing to the
> original.

I think those two are really useful, for the reasons you mention.

For example, I have to copy config files to other machines quite often -
and possibly while the programs reading those files want to read them.  So
right now I do

  scp file remote:file.tmp
  ssh remote mv file.tmp file

which is more effort, and ugly.  If scp could do it in one go (copy to
tmp, if copy complete, move to final destination) it would save me
hassles, while keeping atomicity.

[..]
> The -T option mainly assists in data flow by allowing the tempfile to
> stay out of the way of the destination files.  If you have a process

This is not something that would be useful for *me*, but I can see its
uses.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de