Erase the source file open; specify a tempfile name option

Markus Friedl markus.friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Sun May 20 20:58:23 EST 2001

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 01:31:43AM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2001, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > Actually, that is not the unix philosophy.
>
> Consider why "mv" exists when we have "cp" and "rm".

because
	mv a b
does not copy and is very different from
	cp a b; rm a

> Or why sort has a
> -u option when uniq exists.

i always considered this a bug :)

> I think the key questions are: is
> this option sensible for this particular tool (i.e. does it solve a
> problem closely related to the core use of the utility and do so in a
> better or more efficient way than using a separate utility) and/or does
> the option make a common task easier.

i think that both rcp and scp are very basic tools, just like cp.

if you want to do more complicated tasks you can use tar over ssh
and some scripting or use rsync.

btw, i really like to read

        Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX
        Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983.