Strange interaction of sftp and protocol version 1

Gordon Rowell gordonr at e-smith.com
Tue May 22 06:56:25 EST 2001

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 11:59:15AM -0500, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2001, Gordon Rowell wrote:
> > [...]
> > Which raises the issue that the default path to subsystems is
> > /usr/libexec, whereas they are installed in (under Linux at least) in
> > /usr/libexec/openssh
> >

> I'm not following.  Doing:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/openssh --with-pam
>
> sftp-server is put into /opt/openssh/libexec/  and sftp client points
> there also.  If your upgrading from an older version your sshd_config may
> slighly out of date.

My misunderstanding... The problem is the explicit pathname for protocol
v1 - the client and server must agree due to the way that sftp-server is
run. The client (non-Linux) expects /usr/libexec/sftp-server, whereas
the Linux path is /usr/libexec/openssh.

I assumed (wrongly) that sshd knew where to find its executables, but now
that the invocation for V1 has been explained, all is clear.

Thanks,

Gordon
  Gordon Rowell                         gordonr at e-smith.com
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada