Entropy and DSA keys

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Sat Nov 3 07:19:45 EST 2001

I remember a discussion to the effect that using DSA keys in sshd
increases the requirement for random bits available on the system... and
that this requirement (was it a 128 bit random number per connection?)
presents security problems on systems that don't have a decent source of
entropy?  Am I misinterpreting those discussions?

We are having a problem deploying sshd (no prngd) where sshd refuses to
start because it says theres not enough available entropy.  Would
disabling DSA in sshd prevent the system from becoming "entropy starved"?

If I'm missing the point of the latest discussions, someone please correct
me.... what was the real meaning of those discussions about using DSA keys
in sshd?

Thanks,

	Ed

Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key