FYI dsa_lib.c and dh_lib.c in openssl-0.9.6b and latest snapshot

Scott Burch scott.burch at camberwind.com
Tue Nov 6 10:03:20 EST 2001

Hello,

I am writing to comment on problems I have seen in the past that are currently still problems with compiling OpenSSH with the Sun Forte Compiler version 6 update 2 and gcc on Solaris 8 (not suprising since the problems are actually in the openssl code). I used the snapshot from 11/4 for this test on a brand new system I built from the July release of Solaris 8. I have the latest linker patches, C, C++ library patches, etc. If you want to see the ouput of showrev, etc I can provide this. People in the past suggested that I apply the latest linker patch in the past to fix the problem, however that is not true. The only way I can compile openssh and have it work is to do the following suggest from people on this list. Others should be able to replicate my problems easily. I am reporting back now, because I finally got a chance to rejump my Ultra10 that I used to do the compile. If nobody else has these problems then something else must be wrong on my machine, but I don't see what.

I built the following from source with Sun Forte 6 update 2:

zlib 1.1.3
openssl 0.9.6b
tcp_wrappers
skey libraries
prngd0.9.23

(Oh and skey does not work...it fails checking for skey_keyinfo... no config error missing s/key libraries...I was able to compile and install skey without problems as long as I used gnu-make...but openssh snapshot from 11/4 can not find the libraries...so I think something is wrong there as well.)

The compilation options I used for various code are documented in the Sun Blueprint "Building and Deploying OpenSSH for the Solaris Operating Environment"

The source changes I made are below for openssl (suggested by several here):

Please change line 69 in openssl-0.9.6b/crypto/dsa/dsa_lib.c from
  static DSA_METHOD *default_DSA_method;
  static DSA_METHOD *default_DSA_method = NULL;

I just found another of these beasts in crypto/dh/dh_lib.c. Change
  static const DH_METHOD *default_DH_method;
  static const DH_METHOD *default_DH_method = NULL;