Unkerberized NFS

Tim McGarry tim at mcgarry.ch
Wed Nov 7 06:14:26 EST 2001

I disagree, about NFS, obviously any smart organisation will ensure that NFS
is secured with kerberos BEFORE they allow RSA authentication.
But those who dont know better shouldn't find that installing OpenSSH
actually reduces the system security. This issue of NFS security comes up
quite often and the response is usually "secure your NFS", isn't it time
that sshd_config an flag something like
ISYOURNFSSECURE=yes|no
If the answer is no, it's very easy to modify auth2.c etc with a few calls
to fstatvfs to avoid trusting files from an unsafe location.

yes I know AuthorizedKeysFile can avoid this problem, but it wasn't
available in the portable version till  299, and even after that I'm sure
it's not as widely used as it should be.

Tim McGarry