Entropy collection in sshd (was Re: Entropy and DSA key)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Nov 7 06:57:01 EST 2001

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 12:48:53PM -0500, Ed Phillips wrote:
> I'm not following you... the problem of "it takes 2 freakin minutes to get
> logged into my SS1+" is a direct result of entropy collection performed by
> sshd.

No, it's not.  I use NetBSD on a Sparc LX with /dev/random, and ssh takes
still 2 minutes - the delay is NOT caused by the random number generation
but by slow crypto on ancient Sparc hardware.  ssh protocol 1 is much
quicker (and also needs random).

See the thread on slow connections that happened here about three days
ago.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de