Sun Forte 6 Update 2 Compiler Issues Resolved!

Scott Burch scott.burch at camberwind.com
Wed Nov 7 10:15:54 EST 2001

Hello,

If you are attempting to compile OpenSSH with the Sun Forte 6 Update 2 compiler on Solaris 8 (Solaris 8 7/01 s28s_u5wos_08 SPARC) then spare yourself the madness and make sure you have the following patches:

111685-02 C++ 5.3: Patch for Forte Developer 6 Update 2 C++ compiler

and

111678-04 Compiler Common 6.2: Patch Forte Developer 6 Update 2, C++ F77
F95.

I would also suggest the following patches (versions should be => versions listed below...these are current as of 2 days ago):

108434-03 32bit shared library patch for C++
108435-03 64bit shared library patch for C++
108528-11 Kernel Patch
108991-17 /usr/lib/libc.so.1 patch
109147-12 SunOS 5.8 Linker patch

On Solaris 2.6 you should make sure you have the latest C/C++ library patches as well as the Forte patches mentioned above and 105591-12. I will be finding a 2.6 box I can patch tomorrow.

I can't tell you exactly which patches you will need, but I suggest you at least apply all the latest C/C++ patches, linker patches, and Forte Patches. I believe the Forte patches resolve the problem since yesterday I applied all the C/C++, linker, and kernel patches and I was unable to compile and have things function without changing source for openssl. I hope somebody finds this useful. I will report back on Solaris 2.6. If you still can't get things to work then you can always do the following to the openssl code (this is for 0.9.6b):

Please change line 69 in openssl-0.9.6b/crypto/dsa/dsa_lib.c from
  static DSA_METHOD *default_DSA_method;
  static DSA_METHOD *default_DSA_method = NULL;

I just found another of these beasts in crypto/dh/dh_lib.c. Change
  static const DH_METHOD *default_DH_method;
  static const DH_METHOD *default_DH_method = NULL;