sshd can't change expired password on Sol8 with Openssh3.0p1 + PAM

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Fri Nov 9 06:36:54 EST 2001

Better Idea Alert!

Try patch 111659-02 and you don't have to wait for 3 hours (right now)
while the Recommended Patch Set installs.

Chances are, if there is a problem with pam_unix, this patch fixes it.
The buglist for this patch includes the following:

4112707 Password expiration (passwd -f) doesn't work correctly

Also, if "passwd -f" is really the culprit (puts something in /etc/shadow
that pam_unix.so doesn't like), you can try editing /etc/shadow by hand
and make the entry look like:

user:<encpw>:1:1:1::::

Hope this is helps...

	Ed