sshd can't change expired password on Sol8 with Openssh3.0p1 + PAM

Dost, Alexander Alexander.Dost at drkw.com
Fri Nov 9 20:29:40 EST 2001

Putting together what various testing produced:
The problem is indeed the passwd -f command. It puts a zero into the lastchg
field and this is never changed thereafter... pam_unix.so crashes and is not
able to handle the zero-field.
If you change /etc/shadow according to the below mentioned scheme
"name:<passwd>:1:1:1", everything works fine.
The only problem is that after login the other fields are not updated. The
lastchg field is set correct, but the other (min/max/warn) are left alone
pointing to
'1' so after one day you will supposedly be asked again to change. But this
is another problem, I think when you manually change these files.

Thanks all for the help

Alex