X11 forwards and libwrap support

Markus Friedl markus at openbsd.org
Thu Nov 15 02:51:14 EST 2001

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 05:35:21PM +0200, Osmo Paananen wrote:
> Is there any reason why support for the libwrap code isn't included
> in the X11 forwarding code? I'd like to restrict access to that
> port.

i think that sshd should not depend on libwrap, it's already
the sshd listen port and this is more than enough.

having libwrap for other things is a problem because
it control system policy instead of user policy.

i think x11 fwd should either listen to the localhost
or to all interfaces, but with x11/xauth this does not
seem to work if DISPLAY points to localhost.

i'd prefer to have this fixed.

anther dependency on libwrap is a bad idea.

> How many applications would break if the tcp port
> would be closed and only the unix-domain socket would be available?

i don't know. this would be nice. perhaps the x11 proxy
code from x11 can give hints.

> It's true that x11 forwardings can be considered as a security
> risk and they are disabled because of that by default.

probably.

> I think that the risk can be made (a bit) smaller if there were
> more controls available to restrict access to the forwarded ports.

but x11 access on this port does not work, because you
need the cookie.

> Another question: is it requirement that the forwarded X11 port is
> bound to * instead of specific interface?

xauth does not like DISPLAY=localhost:x.y