Interesting problem with 3.0p1 and IPv6

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Nov 16 23:45:21 EST 2001

hi,

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 03:36:30PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> I just ran into an interesting problem with 3.0p1 on FreeBSD 4.0 and
> IPv6/v4 mapped addresses.
>
> If I do "ssh -v machine", where "machine" has an IPv4 address in the
> DNS, everything works fine (machine is "hilbert.space.net"):
[..]
> Now, if I do "ssh -v cname" where "cname" is a CNAME to the same
> machnie, the following happens:
[..]
> debug1: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
> debug1: Connecting to hilberto [::ffff:194.59.182.6] port 22.
> debug1: Allocated local port 904.
>
> (-> note the different address format!)
[..]
> check_host_key: getnameinfo failed

While I still don't understand why OpenSSH is trying IPv6 mapped addresses
if there is a CNAME, and normal IPv4 for "normal" DNS entries, I managed
to work around this today by claiming that the system has no
getnameinfo/getaddrinfo and use the openbsd-compat ones.

Can autoconf check whether getnameinfo/getaddrinfo "work"?  If yes,
it could be helpful for others installing OpenSSH on FreeBSD 4.0...

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de