ssh -2 and hostbasedauth

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Nov 17 03:06:48 EST 2001

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 04:57:09PM +0100, Markus Friedl wrote:
> > This message is seriously misleading...  I guess it means "ok, you're in
> > the .shosts file, now check the key" (and it will never tell the result of
> > checking the key).
> yes.

Thanks :)

Does protocol / design allow clarification of these messages so that
a not-so-experienced user can understand what is happening and why
".shosts is accepted but it still doesn't work"?

ssh -1 is easier to understand in that regard (especially as it will also
tell you *which* hostname and user name it used for checking).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de