SSH hang fix??

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Sat Nov 17 11:38:30 EST 2001

> That is easier said then done, it happens completley random. We have
> jobs running out of cron every hour syncing files on a cluster setup
> and if I use rsync over ssh everyso often a job will hang and I have
> to go in and kill them off. That is perfectly OK for a few days but
> you log on to the box a month later and there will be 100rds of these
> processes sitting there.

I have actually seen behavior somewhat similar to this -- something to do
with remote execution of commands through ssh.  Occasionally, when the
daemon dies, the commands won't die with them.  This has led to some very
annoyed emails to me from sysadmins wondering why I'm running thirty
instances of netcat on their machines.

Children processes not dying when parent processes croak does have the feel
of a cross-platform oddity...all my instances of this bug tended to happen
on Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6.

Yours Truly,

    Dan Kaminsky
    DoxPara Research