ssh -2 and hostbasedauth

Dan Astoorian djast at cs.toronto.edu
Sun Nov 18 05:14:47 EST 2001

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 08:07:27 EST, Markus Friedl writes:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 12:16:10PM -0500, Dan Astoorian wrote:
> > I think that if this is done, it might be worth considering (if this
> > isn't already what you had in mind) setting it up such that if the
> > client requests it, debug messages--at least the ones which disclose
> > questionable information--are produced and logged on the server side,
> > but _not_ sent back to the client.
>
> too complicated, would need a protocol change.

Sorry.  I hadn't realized that SSH[2]_MSG_DEBUG messages were sent
unconditionally, and only displayed if the client was in verbose mode; I
had assumed the client solicited the debugging messages.  You're right:
extending the protocol for this would be a bad idea.

Can I at least recommend that, at least by default, any
authentication-related debugging be recorded via local (syslog/stderr)
interfaces only (e.g., verbose() or debug()), and not disclosed via
packet_send_debug()?

Moreover, perhaps existing instances of packet_send_debug()--such as the
"accepted by .shosts" message previously discussed--be reevaluated for
the appropriateness and necessity of the information they disclose.

Thanks,

--
Dan Astoorian               People shouldn't think that it's better to have
Sysadmin, CSLab             loved and lost than never loved at all.  It's