3.0.1p1 losing tty modes?

Kevin Steves stevesk at pobox.com
Wed Nov 28 09:13:26 EST 2001

On 27 Nov 2001 michael at moria.de wrote:
:openssh-3.0.1p1 appears to transmit and parse tty modes correctly,
:but later in the code it uses vhangup() to close all tty references and
:reset the tty to default modes.  I don't think that vhangup() should be
:needed on Unix98 ptys, possibly not even on BSD ptys, and I am probably
:wrong, so please tell me where.  Of course vhangup() clears all tty modes,
:so you need to save them before and restore them to the newly opened
:tty afterwards.  This is on Linux 2.4.14, but the problem looks quite
:portable to me for all systems that have vhangup().
:
:This patch shows my solution, but it's only a hack to me until I know
:why vhangup() is needed:

thanks.  as i recall this has come up before.  i would really like to see
someone with deep linux pty knowledge investigate this, identify the
problems, and propose a solution.  i think the archives may contain other
proposed fixes.