PAM, keyboard interactive, pam-1 at ssh.com, interoperability

bukys at rochester.edu bukys at rochester.edu
Thu Nov 29 00:13:32 EST 2001

I have a simple goal: to use PAM to do my TIS authsrv authentications.
I have Mark Roth's pam_authsrv module -- it works fine.

+ I can configure openssh for PAM, and it works fine (negotiating ssh2
  keyboard interactive auth method).
+ I can configure ssh.com-3.0.1 for PAM, and it also works fine
  (negotiating ssh2 pam-1 at ssh.com auth method).

Unfortunately, the openssh client doesn't support pam-1 at ssh.com,
and the ssh.com client doesn't support keyboard interactive.
So I have a basic interoperability problem, and I have to choose
which vendor's universe to live in.  I don't want to!

*Sigh*

Questions:

* Does anyone have plans to incorporate pam-1 at ssh.com into openssh,
  or know of plans to incorporate keyboard-interactive into ssh.com's
  product?

* Are the openssh code maintainers open to a contribution of
  pam-1 at ssh.com support, or is this just too sore a subject for
  somebody?

* Or am I missing something -- do I have more interoperability than
  I think I do?

Liudvikas Bukys
bukys at rochester.edu