PAM, keyboard interactive, pam-1 at ssh.com, interoperability

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Nov 29 09:40:04 EST 2001

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 carl at bl.echidna.id.au wrote:

> > Why do we want to introduce a proprietary exchange into our client
> > to support a commercial vendor who won't implement the standard
> > (kbd-interactive) way of doing such things?
>
> Because sometimes compromise is a good way to reach a goal.  You're
> not supporting a commercial vendor, you're supporting your users.

SSH.COM is not Microsoft and we are not Samba. The ssh.com's PAM support
is broken anyway (cf. Darren's message) and there is a better _standard_
exchange for doing such things.

If the users of said commerical vendor need better PAM support, they
should switch to OpenSSH (cf Darren's message again).

-d