Solaris 2.5.1 dirname() bug in libgen.a affects OpenSSH2.9.9p2 auth.c

Dan Astoorian djast at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Oct 17 15:00:55 EST 2001

Albert Chin writes:
> I was able to duplicate this on our 2.5.1 machine. It is reported as
> bug id #4055505 at sunsolve.sun.com. There is a libgen patch available
> as 106274-01 but it's a fix to some regex issue so I guess there is no
> solution from Sun for this problem.

For what it's worth, I did try linking against the library contained in
that patch, and it does not correct the dirname() problem.  (I therefore
didn't consider the patch worth mentioning.)

Tim Rice writes:

> How about writing a small C we can use to test for this bug
> at configure time.  dirname() is allready in openbsd-compat so
> we can use that if it's broken.

Attached.  Returns 1 if dirname("/etc") returns "" instead of "/", 0
otherwise.

Note that on Solaris 2.5.1, the test program must be compiled with
-lgen.

--
Dan Astoorian               People shouldn't think that it's better to have
Sysadmin, CSLab             loved and lost than never loved at all.  It's