Password Expiration Issue on Solaris with PAM

Matt Cheek cheek at mars-systems.com
Thu Oct 18 04:11:03 EST 2001

I am running v2.9.9p2 on Solaris 8 with PAM support. When I login to an
account with an expired password, I am prompted to change my password (which
is good), however, both the old and new passwords are echoed on the screen
(very bad). For example:

$ ssh nova
Warning: Your password has expired, please change it now
Enter login password: oldpass
New password: newpass
Re-enter new password: newpass
sshd (SYSTEM): passwd successfully changed for cheek
Last login: Wed Oct 17 13:31:31 2001 from quasar
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.8       Generic February 2000
Authorized uses only. All activity may be monitored and reported.
nova$

Per the INSTALL doc, I am using the stock Solaris /etc/pam.conf file.

Is this a configuration issue or a bug?
Matt