sshd fails to close open file descriptors when forking

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Tue Oct 23 01:22:46 EST 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:03:26AM -0400, Ed Phillips wrote:
> But the child processes don't have the _same_ file descriptors open, do
> they?  I thought they had a pipe(s) back to the sshd for protocol
> encoding/decoding.  Regardless, all the children need to exit _before_
> sshd exits, and when they do, all of the file descriptors will be closed.
> When sshd exits, there should be no open file descriptors, right?  (And if
> sshd exits when there is a process that has a file descriptor open that is
> a "connection" back to the ssh client, then that's a bug, right?) Am I
> missing some key point here?  It seems simple... ;-)

We are talking different issues here.
* sshd daemonizes on startup. In this case it forks and the child process
  (to become the actual server) closes its fds for stdin, stdout, stderr.
* When a new connection comes in, a sshd child process is created, that
  itself will fork()/exec() the user process, normally a shell.
  There are file descriptors for the network connection (channel) and for the
  user process. Typically the 3 default file descriptors for stdin, stdout,
  stderr are open between sshd and user process, but there may be more
  open files when X11 connections or port forwarding is used.
* When the user process dies, it closes all of its file descriptors.
  sshd notes this closure and also closes all file descriptors. On the
  network side the connection is however not simply closed, but a
  handshake specified in the SSH protocol is performed to have the
  encrypted _channel_ closed down before the underlying network
  connection is closed. Then sshd can exit().
  The often experienced "hang on exit()" problem is caused by processes
  started from the main user process. If at shell level a process is
  started with, say "sleep 20000 &", the sleep process may not close
  its file descriptors (stdin, stdout, stderr), which are identical to
  the shell's descriptors. Even when the shell now exits, sleep keeps the
  file descriptors open and therefore the handling sshd process thinks,
  that data may still be exchanged and does not shut down.
  (Of course, sleep won't exchange data, but there may be other more important
  processes be backgrounded.)

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/