status of the hang-on-exit-bug

Craig J Copi cjc5 at po.cwru.edu
Wed Oct 24 04:06:16 EST 2001

Lutz Jaenicke writes:
>- Even more: on OpenBSD the connection is closed immediatly. Doesn't this
>  mean, that output generated by the backgrounded processes after the
>  close would be lost, thus violating the idea of keeping the channel
>  open to prevent this data loss...

I believe it does mean that data is lost.  I did the following
simple test:
#>ssh localhost
[ Login ]
%> sleep 10; echo hi &
%> exit

I did this on
(1) OpenBSD 2.9 with OpenSSH_2.9 and tcsh-6.10.00 (from ports)
(2) Linux 2.4.6 with OpenSSH_2.9.9p2 and tcsh-6.10-5 (RH 7.1)

On the OpenBSD box (1) the exit was immediate.  "hi" WAS NOT printed.
On the Linux box (2) the exit hung, after the delay "hi" WAS printed
  then the exit finished.

Craig