hanging on logout, can't background client

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Thu Oct 25 02:03:38 EST 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Markus Friedl wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:42:22 +0200
> From: Markus Friedl <markus at openbsd.org>
> To: Ed Phillips <ed at UDel.Edu>
> Cc: Phil Edwards <pedwards at disaster.jaj.com>, openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org
> Subject: Re: hanging on logout, can't background client
>
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 11:11:47AM -0400, Ed Phillips wrote:
> > Right... but what you get currently when you do that is an abandoned ssh
> > on the client (and an abandoned sshd on the server) that you have to go
> > find and kill later.  I've been running things like this without "-f" or
> > "-n" so that I can avoid losing track of the processes that need to be
> > killed, at the expense of having an extra xterm running on the client.
>
> no, the ssh dies when the xterm dies. don't use -n, use -f.
>
> i cannot reproduce thist you claim.
>
> please make sure you use the latest openssh snapshot
> (see www.openssh.com/portable.html).

Okay... I've correctly set up my test environment to ensure that I have
2.9.9p2 on the client talking to 2.9.9p2 on the server and it appears that
ssh and sshd DO go away properly when I quit the xterm.

Yesterday I was (wrongly) doing the test with 2.9p2 on the client and
2.9.9p2 on the server.

So assuming that nothing has un-fixed this in the latest snapshot (I'll
try and get some time to download this and try it out ASAP), I'm happy to
report that the "ssh doesn't exit" problem seems to be solved in 2.9.9p2.

Thanks,

	Ed

Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key