hanging on logout, can't background client

Phil Edwards pedwards at disaster.jaj.com
Thu Oct 25 04:27:54 EST 2001

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 07:58:32PM +0200, Markus Friedl wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 12:42:25PM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
> > Unfortunately, OpenSSH denies me the use of ~&, which I consider a bug.
> > It also denies me the use of /any other escape sequence/, which I consider
> > a serious bug.
>
> well ~& does not work in ssh2

Oh, crumbs.  I suppose I need to ask, "why not?"

I just now ran "ssh -1 solarisserver" -- the login was much faster, not
too surprising -- started an xterm in the background, and logged out.
The xterm continued to run as the client "hung".  Then I typed ~&, got the
"backgrounded" message, but the xterm instantly died, and the connection
closed.

Sigh.  It's days like this I feel I should have been a bookstore owner
instead of a computer scientist.

Phil