configure changes

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Thu Oct 25 05:09:09 EST 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Dave Dykstra wrote:

> Aack!  Why are all those -I/usr/local/include in CPPFLAGS and
> -L/usr/local/lib in LDFLAGS for many different machine types in
> configure.in?  The contents of those directories are different depending on
> individual system installations, right?  I can't imagine a good reason for
> including them by default.  The Solaris 2.5.1 machine I do my builds on
> happens to have a libz.so in /usr/local/lib, and everything compiled and
> ran fine on that machine but when I distributed the binaries to all my
> solaris machines last night they couldn't find libz.so.  Those /usr/local
> flags have been in there for a while (at least in version 2.9p2), but I
> just started using the new --with-zlib=PATH option to point configure to a
> directory where I have only a libz.a which didn't work because the
> -L/usr/local/lib took precedence, and I used to pre-set the *FLAGS
> environment variables to find libz so I didn't notice before.

This may be a good idea.. but I strongly suggest this occur *AFTER* 3.0.
I want a 3.0p1 release that works for the majority with very few
headaches, and I can see this as a potental headache.

> Also, I tried to find some history in a cvsweb but apparently none is
> available for OpenSSH portable; can that be made available?

I use to have one on www.eviladmin.org  while it was under Linux, but
I broke it in the transition to OpenBSD/Sparc.  Since I was the only one
using it (since it was not widely published since it was just being
tested) I pretty much removed it.

I'm planning on setting one back up, but it won't be until mid December
when I am happily into my house and my U10 sparc is online.

- Ben