Regarding PAM_TTY_KLUDGE and Solaris 8...

Darren Moffat Darren.Moffat at eng.sun.com
Thu Oct 25 10:39:19 EST 2001

>Okay, this appears to be a problem with pam_unix.so - the code in
>pam_sm_open_session is written with the assumption that the tty name is of
>the form "/dev/" + something else on the end.  I'm not sure why the

pam_sm_open_session in pam_unix on Solaris now does this:

        /* report error if ttyn or rhost are not set */
        if ((ttyn == NULL) || (rhost == NULL))
                return (PAM_SESSION_ERR);

        /* sanity check on size of tty line */
        if (strlen(ttyn) < sizeof("/dev/"))
                return (PAM_SESSION_ERR);

later on it uses everything after the /dev/ as the short name tty to
write to lastlog.

This was part of the fix for 4250887. The fix will appear in patch
111659-03 (sparc) and 111660-03 (intel) when that patch is released.

--
Darren J Moffat