What risk is X11Forward to a server?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Fri Oct 26 08:49:25 EST 2001

> That brings up a quick question I forgot...
>
> How do you change the compiled-in PATH that sshd uses by default?

I don't think it is currently possible.  That is one thing that I have
really needed/wanted with ssh.  The ability to set the PATH in the
site sshd_config file.

Traditionally the rsh command (as implemented on SysV systems such as
hpux which is where my experience comes from) implements
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin, etc., the operative directory being
/usr/local/bin.  But openssh does not.  Which means I always need to
recompile with a that path addition in order to make it compatible
with rsh on our systems.  And that really makes sense.  I don't want
to have to include the full path to a command in scripts.  But does
not completely solve the problem because even that does not handle
nonstandard path locations.

I would really like to see /usr/local/bin/ added to the default build.
But I realize that it is a system dependent value.  I don't think it
is possible to implement a one size fits all value.  The best answer
would probably be a way to configure this in the sshd_config file.  It
is high on my wishlist.

Bob