New password echoes on Sol8

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Tue Oct 30 02:36:40 EST 2001

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Markus Friedl wrote:

> Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 19:36:34 +0200
> From: Markus Friedl <markus at openbsd.org>
> To: Ed Phillips <ed at UDel.Edu>
> Cc: OpenSSH Development <openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org>
> Subject: Re: New password echoes on Sol8
>
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 04:12:35PM -0400, Ed Phillips wrote:
> > I tried replacing readpassphrase() for v2.9.9p2 on Sol8 with a different
> > version that just calls getpassphrase().  It appears to solve the echo
> > problem when the user tries to login in interactive mode and needs to
> > change their password.
> >
> > Can anyone else try this with v2.9.9p2 on Solaris?  Be sure to add:
> >
> > #define HAVE_GETPASSPHRASE
>
> no.
>
> the bug should be fixed instead.

Okay... it appears that the bug has been found and fixed.

> we already have enough waste in openssh.

Some might say it is a "waste" to replace a perfectly good OS-supplied
routine (like getpassphrase()) with yet more code that does the same
thing.

And I agree... a quick glance at what's getting bundled into my ssh/sshd
executables on Solaris - we have the following code getting compiled-in
even though a routine of the same name or another name with the same
function is already availble in libc or other libs:

getcwd
getgrouplist
getopt
inet_ntoa
inet_aton
mktemp
readpassphrase
realpath
rresvport
setenv

... now that's a waste! ;-P

	Ed

Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key