New password echoes on Sol8

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Tue Oct 30 02:58:31 EST 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Ed Phillips wrote:
[..]

> Some might say it is a "waste" to replace a perfectly good OS-supplied
> routine (like getpassphrase()) with yet more code that does the same
> thing.
>
> And I agree... a quick glance at what's getting bundled into my ssh/sshd
> executables on Solaris - we have the following code getting compiled-in
> even though a routine of the same name or another name with the same
> function is already availble in libc or other libs:
>
> getcwd
> getgrouplist
> getopt
Solaris is missing optreset.

> inet_ntoa
Defined 'HAVE_INET_NTOA' will not be used under Solaris.

> inet_aton
Not found on 2.5 - 2.7 solaris.

> mktemp
Not used.. mkdtemp is used.  Solaris does not have it. (I could explain
why it is there, but it is left up the reader to check the OpenBSD tree)

> readpassphrase
This is an OpenBSD function.  Solaris does not support it.

> realpath
It is not enabled on my machine.  'realpath()' was added to portable
because NeXTStep has a command called 'realpath()' but it has nothing to
do with the one we want.

Solaris 7 sets 'HAVE_REALPATH' therefor the libc version will be used.

> rresvport

> setenv
It does?  Solaris 2.5 - 2.7 don't.

> ... now that's a waste! ;-P

I'll not waste my time with the rest.. I really suggestion you do your
hoomework on such topics.

- Ben