Recent openssl is required for OPENSSL_free [Re: Please test snapshots for 3.0 release] (fwd)

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Wed Oct 31 03:12:02 EST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Lutz Jaenicke wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 09:17:54AM -0600, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
> >
> > I thought the reason we moved to OPENSSL_free() is because free() does not
> > do the right thing on OpenSSL data structures.  Why are we reintroducing
> > this again?  Or did I miss something.
>
> OPENSSL_free() was introduced with OpenSSL 0.9.6, for OpenSSL 0.9.5, free()
> is the correct way to go. In order to allow the use of 0.9.5, OPENSSL_free()
> must be replaced (for <0.9.6 only), because we get an unresolved symbol error
> otherwise.

Lutz,

Still does not answer the underlying question.  if OPENSSL_free() ==
free() why have OPENSSL_free()?  Feels like an API for the sake of an API
unless there is plans to make OPENSSL_free() do more.  At which point this
change will be a bad thing.

Not arguing this is not need.  I just would like to get a sense of why.

- Ben