"last" providing incorrect information on Solaris 8

Darren Moffat Darren.Moffat at eng.sun.com
Wed Oct 31 04:58:45 EST 2001

>The "last <username>" usage is displaying the sessions as still being
>logged on the server when it's really not.  The "last" by itself shows
>correct information about the session.     Sometimes using the "last
><username>" syntax  the session shows being terminated but the total
>logged in time is hours off.

See the following Sun bugs in SunSolve:

1.  "last" problem - wtmpx entries not properly updated when logging out
    Bug:  1171613
2.  wtmpx entries not properly updated when logging out
    Bug:  4027052
3.  *last* produces inconsistent results when specifying name.
    Bug:  4010009
4.  *last* The last command does not show ftp sessions if using a name
    Bug:  4095482
5.  last command shows still logged on when user is logged out
    Bug:  4119214
6.  *last* last command does not show correct-logout time (ftp login)
    Bug:  1260759

I believe these are releated to the problem you are seeing.

--
Darren J Moffat