entropy problems IRIX

Richard Bonomo bonomo at sal.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 2 03:38:37 EST 2002

Hello!

I am running openSSH 2.9x on an IRIX 6.5.x platform.
This was recently installed using SGI-supplied
"freeware" binaries.

I find that as time goes on, it takes more attempts
to establish an ssh connection from the IRIX platform
to another machine, as it fails with "not enough entropy
in PRNG."  I posted a note asking for assistance, and
received a reply suggesting I install PRNGd, which
I did.  Unfortunately, I looks like the binaries
were not compiled with PRNGd support.

Before I attempt to download and compile a fresh
version of this utility (which tends to be
problematic with our installations), I would
like to know if there is some way of tweaking
openssh's internal "entropy generator" to fix
this problem.  Does anyone know?

Thank you.

Richard B.

Richard Bonomo
UW Space Astronomy Laboratory
ph: (608) 263-4683 telefacsimile: (608) 263-0361
SAL-related email: bonomo at sal.wisc.edu
all other email: bonomo at ece.wisc.edu
web page URL: http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~bonomo