X11UseLocalhost option and the DISPLAY variable

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Fri Apr 12 01:25:03 EST 2002

I wasn't paying much attention when there was a lot of conversation about
these issues.  I recently ran into a problem where an X app won't run with
OpensSSH 3.1p1's default "X11UseLocalhost yes" setting.  If I run the X
app with the display set to "localhost:16.0" it gets a "BadAccess" error,
but if I run it with the display set to "127.0.0.1:16.0" or
"realhostname:16.0" it works fine.  Can someone please explain the
boiled-down version of what's going on here and save me some trouble?  Is
there anything wrong with setting "X11UseLocalhost no" in sshd_config?

Thanks in advance!

	Ed

Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key