X11UseLocalhost option and the DISPLAY variable

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Fri Apr 12 04:15:31 EST 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Kevin Steves wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Kevin Steves <kevin at atomicgears.com>
> To: Ed Phillips <ed at UDel.Edu>
> Cc: OpenSSH Development <openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org>
> Subject: Re: X11UseLocalhost option and the DISPLAY variable
>
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Ed Phillips wrote:
> :I wasn't paying much attention when there was a lot of conversation about
> :these issues.  I recently ran into a problem where an X app won't run with
> :OpensSSH 3.1p1's default "X11UseLocalhost yes" setting.  If I run the X
> :app with the display set to "localhost:16.0" it gets a "BadAccess" error,
> :but if I run it with the display set to "127.0.0.1:16.0" or
> :"realhostname:16.0" it works fine.  Can someone please explain the
> :boiled-down version of what's going on here and save me some trouble?  Is
> :there anything wrong with setting "X11UseLocalhost no" in sshd_config?
>
> can something in sshd.8 for X11UseLocalhost be clearer?

No, I don't think so, but it doesn't solve my problem either.  The "old
client" I'm using is a "current" version of Tivoli's Maestro (gconman in
particular).  I don't know what X calls they use to deal with the display,
but the application is certainly linked against the current Solaris 8 X
libraries - just like xterm, xclock, etc.,... which work fine with DISPLAY
= "localhost:16.0".

So, if anyone can explain to me why "127.0.0.1:16.0" works and
"localhost:16.0" does not (in an OpenSSH 3.1p1 X11-forwarding scenario),
or how we could add an option (or why we wouldn't want to add an option)
to have OpenSSH to use the IP address in the DISPLAY variable, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,

	Ed

Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key