Using openssh 3.1p1 on Solaris with tcp wrappers?

R. P. C. Rodgers rodgers at nlm.nih.gov
Sat Apr 13 02:50:39 EST 2002

Dear OpenSSH Developers,

Thanks for all the great work on this important tool.  We've built
version 3.1p1 on
SAPTC platforms under Solaris 2.8 using gcc 2.95.2.   Several quick
notes and a
question:

1) There are several discrepancies between the INSTALL file on the
openssh web
   site ftp://ftp.ca.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/INSTALL
   and the output from "./configure --help", the latter fortunately
being the
   more accurate.

2) There is essentially no information available for the installer about
how to
   use ssh in conjunction with tcp wrappers.  A few brief examples of
entries for
   the wrapper control files hosts.allow and hosts.deny would be very
helpful,
   as well as a few remarks about how logging gets done (a few
references to this
   issue in the archives for thie mailing list left me confused).
   Not having supplied a path with our "--with-tcp-wrappers"
configuration
   option, and the output from configure being unenlightening on this
point,
   I'm not even certain this is really working for us,

3) For maximum portabiliity, you might want to add support for the
System V
   conventions for man page section numbering.  Currently, you employ
BSD
   conventions: system "8" under BSD is section "1m" under SysV
conventions,
   with the section numbers of course also being changed in the body of
   the manual pages themselves.

As I'm not a registered member of the list, please respond directly to
me
as well as to the list -- thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

Thanks and Cheerio, Rick Rodgers (rodgers at nlm.nih.gov)

R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D. * rodgers at nlm.nih.gov * (301)496-9305 (voice,
fax)
CSB, LHNCBC, U.S. National Library of Medicine, NIH
Bldg 38A, Rm. 9S-916, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda MD 20894 USA
http://lhc.nlm.nih.gov/staff/rodgers/rodgers.html