ssh -R limitations?

Markus Friedl markus at openbsd.org
Tue Apr 16 03:13:40 EST 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 05:57:47PM +0200, Alfonso Fiore wrote:
> I made some successful tries using ssh -R connecting directly to a public
> IP machine, but from my tests it seems that a -R tunnel will accept only
> connection from the very same machine where the port is listening
> (localhost). Am I right? Is there a way to change this behaviour?

$ man sshd
     GatewayPorts
             Specifies whether remote hosts are allowed to connect to ports
             forwarded for the client.  By default, sshd binds remote port
             forwardings to the loopback addresss.  This prevents other remote
             hosts from connecting to forwarded ports.  GatewayPorts can be
             used to specify that sshd should bind remote port forwardings to
             the wildcard address, thus allowing remote hosts to connect to
             forwarded ports.  The argument must be ``yes'' or ``no''. The de-
             fault is ``no''.