openssh 3.1p1 & autoconf 2.53

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-openssh-unix-dev at silbe.org
Sat Apr 27 01:56:06 EST 2002

If I leave the openssh sources untouched, it works fine with paths
containing a comma (,). But after just running autoconf (without touching
anything else), configure chokes on these paths:

=== Begin screenshot ===
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
sed: -e expression #1, char 435: Unknown option to 's'
config.status: creating openbsd-compat/Makefile
sed: -e expression #1, char 480: Unknown option to 's'
config.status: creating scard/Makefile
sed: -e expression #1, char 453: Unknown option to 's'
config.status: creating ssh_prng_cmds
sed: -e expression #1, char 445: Unknown option to 's'
config.status: creating config.h
=== End screenshot ===

That's because the paths are used unquoted in config.status:

=== Begin extract from config.status ===
  sed "

:t
/@[a-zA-Z_][a-zA-Z_0-9]*@/!b
s, at configure_input@,$configure_input,;t t
s, at srcdir@,$ac_srcdir,;t t
s, at abs_srcdir@,$ac_abs_srcdir,;t t
s, at top_srcdir@,$ac_top_srcdir,;t t
s, at abs_top_srcdir@,$ac_abs_top_srcdir,;t t
s, at builddir@,$ac_builddir,;t t
s, at abs_builddir@,$ac_abs_builddir,;t t
s, at top_builddir@,$ac_top_builddir,;t t
s, at abs_top_builddir@,$ac_abs_top_builddir,;t t
s, at INSTALL@,$ac_INSTALL,;t t
" $ac_file_inputs | (eval "$ac_sed_cmds") >$tmp/out
=== End extract from config.status ===

I'm unsure whether openssh or autoconf is responsible for this. I did not
find anything in configure.ac that could cause it, but all cases with similar
problems that I could find in the list archives for autoconf were problems in
the packages using autoconf, not in autoconf itself, so I thought I'd try it
on this list first.
Any ideas how to fix this? I need to patch configure.ac to link openssh
statically (urgently needed because the openssl team keeps breaking binary
compatibility even on patch level releases).

CU/Lnx Sascha