so-called-hang-on-exit

Eric Garff egarff at omniture.com
Wed Aug 7 06:32:33 EST 2002

This isn't an actual reply to any one person, but here is my experience:

I have tested both the patches by Jani Jaakkol and Frank Cusack (Frank's
I tried both the pty and non-pty changes).  I still get the hang, here
is my setup.

This is entered as a cronjob on one server to run every 15 minutes:

/home/httpd/bin/cache/glb/gTest >>/home/httpd/bin/cache/glb/gTest.log
2>>/home/httpd/bin/cache/glb/gTest.log

  here are the guts of the script:
	/usr/local/bin/ssh hostname /bin/ls /some/dir | /usr/bin/wc -l ;
/bin/ls /some/other/dir | /usr/bin/wc -l ; /bin/ls /some/other/dir |
/usr/bin/wc -l"

The script is actually a php script that does a number of other things
before it executes the ssh (database to grab hostnames, etc.), but that
is how the ssh portion pans out.  After executing the command it then
starts a 20 second timer, and if the ssh session is still alive, it
kills it.  Also, if I run the script by hand (not crond) it completes
just fine (no hang).

Any ideas?  Your time is MUCH appreciated.