so-called-hang-on-exit

Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com
Wed Aug 7 23:53:21 EST 2002

A test program *could* be written. The test should try several
conditions to determine what the kernel/pty driver behaviour is:

 - does the pty close immediately when the session leader exits?
 - does the pty close immediately when the session leader is gone *and*
   the pty's foreground process group is orphaned (or empty?)?
 - does the pty driver send SIGHUP to all processes associated with the
   PTY when the session leader exits?

Having the answers to these questions for each of the major platforms we
can then think about how to emulate *BSD behaviour on Linux and Solaris
(assuming that it's even desired). But then, we all pretty much suspect
what the behaviour is (see previous posts in this thread).

The notion of "flushing the pty" may not be so simple because the
boundary between data last written by the session leader and data
written by background processes may be indistiguishable (would that
even be a problem?) - how does one "flush the pty" from the master
side anyways? (by reading until read() returns EWOULDBLOCK? or is there
some special ioctl() for emptying buffered data on the slave write side
to the master read side?)

And one more avenue that must be considered: why not just document the
platform differences and leave it at that? Some will be inconvenienced,
but the OpenSSH folks could just say "hey, take it to your OS vendor", say.

Cheers,

Nico