so-called-hang-on-exit

Jani Jaakkola jjaakkol at cs.Helsinki.FI
Thu Aug 8 06:07:10 EST 2002

On 6 Aug 2002, Eric Garff wrote:

> This isn't an actual reply to any one person, but here is my experience:
>
> I have tested both the patches by Jani Jaakkol and Frank Cusack (Frank's
> I tried both the pty and non-pty changes).  I still get the hang, here
> is my setup.
>
> This is entered as a cronjob on one server to run every 15 minutes:

Our patches only apply to sessions with ptys. Ssh sessions from
cron-jobs normally do not have ptys and they do not need them. Also, I do
not intend to provide hang-on-exit patch for the non pty case; in the non
pty case the hang is what I expect and is IMO the correct thing to happen.

I suspect, that your cronjob just leaves something hanging in the
background. You should fix the script.

I am an system administrator myself and I do run cron jobs which use ssh.
They work just fine.

- Jani