so-called-hang-on-exit

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Thu Aug 8 09:54:49 EST 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 02:52:50PM -0400, Jim Knoble wrote:
> Circa 2002-08-07 01:54:46 -0700 dixit Frank Cusack:
>
> : Hence my earlier question, what does 'ssh -t 0 "yes & exit"' do on OpenBSD?
>
> Here's what happens here:
>
>   $ uname -srvm
>   OpenBSD 3.1 GENERIC#1 i386
>   $ ssh -t localhost 'yes & exit'
>   $ ssh -t localhost 'yes & sleep 1; exit'
>   [etc., for 1 second]
>   $

Great, so OpenBSD ** guarantees ** data loss in the pty case.  Ben, et al,
this should be a no-brainer: put in the patch, making data loss *optional*
on other OSes.  The patch I posted seems to be the simplest complete patch.

Or it may just be a shell difference.  (bash doesn't send hup, csh does)
Jim, can you do this with bash on OpenBSD and see if it goes "forever"?
Oh, I see it *is* a Bourne shell.  Is that some other Bourne-like sh or
is it actually bash?

/fc