AIX authenticate()

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at ii.uib.no
Wed Aug 14 21:58:10 EST 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 01:27:07PM -0500, Ben Lindstrom wrote:

> > 	SYSTEM = "NIS and DCE"
> >
> > Suggested (untested) patch should look like:
> >

> How does this affect OpenSSH?  What can I do to mimic this on my AIX box?

I'm not sure, but it sounds like in this example either:

	1. Authentication can fail on NIS, and then try DCE

or

	2. Both NIS and DCE authentication is required before
	   authenticate() succeeds.

I don't have any nodes with NIS and/or DCE to test on.

Anyway, here's the man-page for AIX authenticate():

	http://usgibm.nersc.gov/usr/share/man/info/en_US/a_doc_lib/libs/basetrf1/authenticate.htm

"
  The calling program makes no assumptions about the
  number of prompt messages the user must satisfy for authentication.

  The Reenter parameter remains a nonzero value until the user satisfies
  all prompt messages or answers incorrectly. Once the Reenter
  parameter is zero, the return code signals whether authentication
  passed or failed.
"

  -jf