Building openssh-3.5p1 with new DES functions

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker levitte at stacken.kth.se
Tue Dec 10 23:58:28 EST 2002

In message <20021210085038.GA166 at folly> on Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:50:38 +0100, Markus Friedl <markus at openbsd.org> said:

markus> > It's including all those headers because it used to, and people will
markus> > complain if they don't get all those algorithms just by including
markus> > evp.h.
markus>
markus> evp.h is supposed to hide the details of the algorithms.

I totally agree with the sentiment.  And we did remove those
inclusions at one point in the 0.9.7 branch.  At some point (after
another storm with Theo), I did a test compile of an old OpenSSH
against whatever was in the HEAD fo OpenSSL development at that time.
It went *KABOOM*, and the single cause for that *KABOOM* was that
evp.h didn't include all those algorithm headers any more.  After I
placed them back, I got just a couple of warnings that were a piec of
cake to deal with.

So, in light of a huge complaint from Theo that we're changing so damn
much between versions and breaking compiles of old programs that used
to work fine, I put those inclusions back.

I think that for 0.9.7, this part is staying as it is.

markus> you should either use the EVP_ or the DES_ interface, but not
markus> both.

Quite true.

Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ LeViMS at stacken.kth.se
Redakteur at Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47
                    \      SWEDEN       \ or +46-708-26 53 44
Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis                -- poei at bofh.se
Member of the OpenSSL development team: http://www.openssl.org/

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.