Bad packet length problem with "aes128-cbc" and openssh3.1p1

Ajit Yashwant Vaishampayan, Noida ajith at noida.hcltech.com
Fri Dec 20 23:58:22 EST 2002

Hi,

I am trying to run openssh 3.1p1. But it is giving "Bad packet length" error
when I run sshd with default config file. On further investigation I found
that the error is coming only for the cipher algorithm "aes128-cbc". Also
the error comes only when I don't specify any protocol file
(/usr/local/etc/ssh_host_[rd]sa_key) or specify only "protocol 2" files.

I tried all other cipher algorithms with the "-c" option and it works fine
with them. I also changed the sshd config file (/usr/local/etc/sshd_config
in my case), and it again worked fine when "aes128-cbc" was not included and
failed when it was
included in the cipher list.

Kindly tell me whether the problem with "aes128-cbc" is known one or there
is problem with my compilation of openssh and related packages.

Regards
Ajit