OpenSSH Key Storage

Andersson, Mats mats.andersson at appgate.com
Sat Feb 2 18:37:21 EST 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Carson Gaspar wrote:
> > it has been suggested that the server tells the client:
> > 	lookup the hostkey under this 'name'.
>
> No. Because the client can't. It doesn't have enough information. You can
> hack it into the client statically via the current alias mechanism, but it

I don't see the problem here? The client (and only it) knows what
name/port it connected to and only it knows who it expects to find there,
the ONLY method of identifying the host I can think of is to store the
host keys in a list searchable with host/port pairs (the "state" in the
transport layer probably knows where its TCP endpoint is connected so it
should be able to do the lookup right?).

Cheers,

/Mats