hang on exit

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Feb 14 20:51:44 EST 2002

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Markus Friedl wrote:

> untested, as i don't have access to a system that
> shows the hang-on-exit problem.

The patch needs a comma at EOL here:

> -	sUseLogin, sAllowTcpForwarding,
> +	sUseLogin, sAllowTcpForwarding, sAllowDataLossOnPty

Otherwise it works as advertised for both protocols 1 & 2: sessions
with a tty get terminated as soon as the child exits, sessions without
wait for the grandchildren.

In testing the patch I noticed something weird - on an unpatched
-current 'ssh -t localhost "sleep 20 & exit"' will exit immediately,
but 'ssh localhost "sleep 20 & exit"' will not. Interactive sessions
behave as expected.

It appears that in the non-interactive, pty case the grandchild gets a
SIGHUP.

-d