hang on exit bug under Linux

Jani Jaakkola jjaakkol at cs.Helsinki.FI
Fri Feb 22 08:42:49 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Michael wrote:

> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 11:34:06AM -0800, Michael wrote:
> > > Just thought I'd mention that when you restart "init"
> > >
> > > kill -HUP 1
> > >
> > > ssh 3.02p1 hangs as expected. What data would I expect back from
> > > that??
> >
> > I don't see that behaviour.  I assume you are talking about an sshd
> > patched with the "AllowDataLossOnPty" patch.
> >
> >     ssh localhost -t "sleep 20 & exit"
> >
> > returns immediately before and after 'kill -HUP 1'.  Perhaps you
> > aren't requesting a pty in your test?
> >

> simpler than that....
> unpatched 3.02.p1
>
> local:~# ssh some.remotehost.com
> some:~# kill -HUP 1
> some:~# exit
> hangs......

You must have some login script which starts something in the
background. Or a shell which does not actually exit on command
exit. Or kill is not /bin/kill but is something else (weird shell alias?)
instead.

Or then it is a completely different problem than the usual
'hang on exit' one. I certainly do not see any behaviour like that
(but I get the hang on exit when I leave processes which are not
properly daemonized in the background. Which, IMHO, is as things should
be).

- Jani